Followers

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Food for the more mature dog


A big brown package that smelled divine was delivered to the house a while back.



It had to be for me – didn’t it?


Yes! It was. 

Lathams - who make natural, hypo-allergenic dog food - thought I might like to try some of their veterinarian approved food for mature dogs.

Well, I can tell you it smelled lovely and it looked lovely.


But the LOTH told me I had to be patient because with my sensitive greyhound tummy we had to introduce a new food gradually to prevent me getting stomach ache. The same is true of lots of dogs, so it is always advisable to mix a new complete food with the existing food and then gradually over a period of five day or so gradually replace more of the old food with the new food until you have switched over.

Retired greyhounds should not have food with more than 19% protein either – and this Lathams Mature (for dogs aged over 7) contains exactly that.

The LOTH was really impressed by all the extra nutrients it contains to support an older dogs’ digestion, joints, coat, thyroid and cells throughout the body. I just loved the turkey and rice I could smell.

A well-known vet worked with Lathams to come up with this special formula. He is David Helliwell and he certainly knows his stuff so we were now really keen to learn more.

David says: "Owners of older dogs frequently report problems with weight, metabolism and immunity and Lathams Mature targets these specific needs through correct balanced nutrition."

I just loved it when the LOTH started to gradually add it in to my meals.


So, here’s the science-y bit about what’s in it – it doesn’t mean anything to me, but the LOTH says there’s lots of stuff there that will help keep my joints moving smoothly and good fatty acids which will help keep my coat shiny and healthy:

Composition: Rice (26%), Oats, Turkey Meat Meal (17%), Peas, Linseed (5%), Barley, Chicken Fat, Sugar Beet Pulp (2.5%), Digest, Seaweed (1.25%), Alfalfa (0.5%), Potassium Chloride, Chicory (0.1%), Calcium Carbonate, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Yucca Schidigera Extract (0.1%).

Additives: Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Calcium Iodate Anhydrous, Sodium Selenite, Copper Sulphate, Pentahydrate, Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate, Manganese Oxide and Zinc Oxide

You can buy Lathams dog food in Tesco stores now in the UK, but it is also available through the Lathams website.




24 comments:

Sue said...

Winnie, You looked like you were enjoying your meal.

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Looks like it's not only good for you, but good to eat--you're really enjoying it!

XXXOOO Daisy, Kendra & Bella

tubby3pug said...

I am glad you are enjoying your yummy new food, delivered to the door thats good service

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Happy Tasty Tuesday! YES when I turned a senior dog I had a new food too. Golden Thanks I did not know about a food that is actually hypo-allergenic. For sure if it smells good must be tasty too. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

What Remains Now said...

Looks like a winner all the way around, just like Winnie.

Scooter said...

Hey Winnie!
Wow, looks like great new kibble! Slow changes are good and I'm like you...I like getting something new to chow down on.
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

Stewey said...

Winnie - you're really enjoying that kibble :)
Stewey

curator said...

That looks AND sounds like good food! As long as it keeps you healthy and happy that is the most important thing.

Minnie Moo said...

Looks fantastic!

Muah,

Minnie Moo

Kari in Alaska said...

Looks yummy, maybe Tori will like it :)

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
dogisgodinreverse.com

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

I think I can smell it all the way over here....Hey Mom!!!!!!

My Mind's Eye said...

Hi Winnie...I hopped over from Sugar's Tasty Tuesday to say hi...you are a very pretty mature lady grey. Your new food looks quite delicious.
Hugs Madi

Kirby the Dorkie said...

Hi Winnie! I loves a good kibble! Mama had to search to find a healthy one for me so I'm glad you have found a yummy healthy one too!

Sophie said...

Sounds like some delicious food right there!

Terrorzinhos said...

That food looks yummy yummy! =)

Jack, eats a special food for mature dogs too! At first he did not like the idea of ​​having a special meal just for him, but now he does not want to eat anything else! =)

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Thanks for the great review - Mom is always looking for new and tasty ways to bribe Phantom to eat. We just made a big change in our kibble here, and Mom does it even more slowly because Ciara in particular has trouble with change. But so far so good, and we are all enjoying the new food (well, maybe not Picky boy Phantom but. . . )

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

houndstooth said...

We recently switched to better food, too, and it made a big difference for us! We turned out noses up at the old stuff we'd eaten before, that's for sure! I'm glad they take such good care of you, Miss Winnie!

Bunny

Two French Bulldogs said...

yummmmmE
Benny & Lily

Anonymous said...

wow Winnie it sure does look like you LOVE your new foods! Enjoy!

woos, Tessa

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Hi Winnie, the new food looks like a winner:) Glad you're enjoying it and that it's good for you too. But you don't look old enough to be on mature dog food!!

Declan said...

So you liked it too Huh?! Mum says she thinks I'd be better with the Senior stuff due to the smaller kibble, that's unless I can learn to chew before I swallow Hehe! Deccy

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Enjoy your new food!

Brenda said...

Yum Yum, food arriving at the door, we like that idea a lot. - Lady, Lucky, and Katie

Anonymous said...

That Lathams does sound very nutritious! Mom says if I was on a kibble diet, we would definitely have to look into this! Enjoy your new nommers Winnie! :)

Waggin at ya,
Roo