Followers

Thursday 18 April 2013

Scary monsters


What we have learned today.

Monkey has added a couple of things to his ‘I’m scared of this as well' list.

On today’s walk he reinforced his dislike of transit vans and added a bus shelter – just the one so far – and wheelie bins.

He also decided that the swooshing sound a car tyre makes when it goes over a wet patch on the road – not a puddle – just a wet patch, is enough to make him jump forward.

He also discovered last night that he would like to be Scooby-Doo. Walking on the green in the twilight he moved away from me by a lead’s length – about six feet (two metres) while he was ahead of me I stepped on a twig. You could almost hear the yikes as he jumped up in the air. Luckily he didn’t try to jump into my arms!



Anyway back to today’s additions to the list. The bus shelter we pass most days is open fronted



Today’s evil bus shelter is one we have passed on the opposite side of the road several times without any fuss. However, walking on that side of the road necessitated a run round behind me as we approached it



Go figure.

Wheelie bin day leads to all sorts of shenanigans as some bins are on drives to our left – others are on the edge of the pavement to our right.



 If I could get Monkey on skis I swear he could win Gold in the downhill slalom at the Winter Olympics.


11 comments:

Sue said...

I think the weather can play a big part in spooking dog, especially Greys. Wind can sound different depending on what direction it is coming from and what it is hitting. The bus shelter may have sounded different to other days.

Polly is wary of vans, maybe she remembers being transported in them to go racing.

I am sure with time Monkey will settle. It's a whole new world for him.

Unknown said...

LOL funny. I hate bins, balloons, propellors which includes wind farms and plastic bags in the wind. Hmm and so much more. It is a dawg thing. Hey Monkey we will stick together. Have a terrific Thursday.
Best wishes Molly

Bella Roxy & Macdui said...

Roxy hates the rainwater drains in the street. Don't know why, she's been passed them every morning for over a year. Bella is afraid of noises and people. SHE looks like a mad puppeteer taking three dogs for a walk sometimes. I, Daisy, am not afraid of anything!

XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

Tennessee Winnie said...

I used to jump at snapping sticks too. Now I only jump when they whack my belly. I walk in the woods so have no ideas about bus stops or wheelie bins. Hope you loose the muzzle soon, I can't get any good sniffing done with mine.

-- Tennessee Winnie

Anonymous said...

Haha, I guess he is a basket case on walks, huh? He'll get there, no worries. It'll just take some time. Hang in there!

Elyse and Riley

jet said...

Yeah Barbie did this too... she got over most of her fears but the one that she still has, 3 years later, is a fear of trains. It's only an issue if we want to cross the train line, though we do live very close to it so it comes up occasionally. I can't blame her for being scared of them though. They are loud and at times their air horns make me jump!!!

Eileen H said...

We'll never know why our dogs can be such wusses!
Some rescue dogs have baggage which takes time to unpack.
My Annie hates transit vans too, and she is as stubborn as a mule, won't come back into the house without being bribed in with treats. I think we made a rod for our own backs there:-)

dArtagnan Rumblepurr/Diego Hamlet Moonfur said...

That bus thing does look frightening!

What Remains Now said...

Please let Monkey know that Casper agrees in one regard...American wheelie bins also bear watching. Since we don't live in the city, everyone contracts their own service, so we have THREE wheelie bin days in our neighborhood. That should make Monkey feel a little better.

Jen said...

Elka tends to be suspicious of garbage cans, I'm not really sure why. I think in Monkey's case, so much of this stuff is just so new to him!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

In a few weeks time Monkey will probably wonder what on earth he was worrying about:) Everything is still new to him and it's better to be safe than sorry! My foster dog, Riley, is the same on walks but he's improved a lot to when he first came to live with us a month ago.