Followers

Thursday 12 August 2010

Getting a few things straight

Morning!

Just got back from a power walk (kind of) after my breakfast and thought it might be a good opportunity to chase away a few myths about greyhounds.

Now I've lost count of the number of people who assume that because I look like a lean, mean running machine I need TONS of exercise every day.

WRONG!!!

In fact, after a 20-minute walk around the block this morning I'm feeling ready for a looooong morning nap now...but I'll keep going for YOUR benefit dear readers because you need to know the facts.

Alert in the back garden - for now

Greyhounds are built for short sharp sprints....not marathons. We just have no stamina at all. My new family took me out for a loooong walk on Sunday morning (by their standards) and I slept the rest of the day. They thought they'd broken me.

There's good reason why greyhounds are called couch potatoes. A couple of 20 minutes walks a day and I'm happy. Apart from that I LOVE being around my new people and am more than happy lying on a comfy bed and just hearing them bustling around the house doing their human things, or sitting watching the television.

As for chasing small furry things.....well, we're all different. "Whatever floats your boat" as a water-loving labrador retriever of my acquaintance used to say.

Greyhounds are sight hounds so it is in our nature to spot things from a long way away and sometimes give chase. Greyhounds who've been brought up with cats and small pets can rub along with them quite nicely.

Me, well I'm not a fan of cats and I like being an only-dog. But I'm a bit stuck in some of my ways.

Anyhoo.....my comfy bed is calling.....see you again soon xx

No comments: