Followers

Sunday 15 August 2010

Winnie 1 - Pigeons 0

The Man Of The House had a bit of a shock this morning when he turned his back on me in the garden for two minutes, and turned round again to find me standing there with a pigeon in my mouth.

This is me with my toy pheasant - no pigeons were harmed in this game
I know it's not big and it's not clever - but it's just my age-old hunting instincts I'm afraid.

Greyhound ancestors came to the British Isles centuries ago and were used for hunting out in the open where our keen eyesight was invaluable.

The M. O. T. H. told the rest of the family - when they came back from shopping - that he wished he had seen what happened and he wondered if I'd snatched it out of the air like I do when they throw me my toy pheasant to catch? Well, that's for me to know and you to keep a closer eye on me in future.

Note from Winnie's family: The pigeon met its end very swiftly. Greyhounds do have a high prey-drive and it's one of the things you do need to watch but the same applies to many dogs with a historic hunting instinct.

No comments: