Followers

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Who put that there?

It's funny how you can live with something for months and then suddenly see it through new eyes.

This morning I made the family laugh by suddenly pricking up my ears and staring intently at this strange, fake cat-thing lying motionless on the hearth next to my 'day bed' in the living room.

I stretched out a tentative paw to give him/her a nudge and got a warning from the Lady Of The House that he/she was not one of my toys and I should leave him/her alone.

The 'model' Mrs Chippy
This cat-thing has been there ever since I arrived here at my new forever home in August and I've never paid it any attention before. Well, it doesn't SMELL like a cat - so it can't be a cat, can it?

The L O T H explained to me that it's supposed to be a model of Mrs Chippy who was the cat that travelled with Ernest Shackleton and his crew on board the Endurance on their expedition to the Antarctic expedition early in the 20th century.

Apparently, Mrs Chippy came to a sticky end - but as 'she' was really a 'he' with a silly name (and a cat to boot) I'm not going to get too upset.

3 comments:

houndstooth said...

Oh Winnie, why must our humans torment us with tricks like this? What do you suppose is inside it? Have you, you know, tested it -- just to make sure it's not alive?

Bunny

Two French Bulldogs said...

Mrs Chippy is a stuffie
Benny & Lily

Unknown said...

Such temptation! Frankie was very tempted today twice! On the way back from her walk she found a squeaky piggy toy which of course she wanted to keep and carry home, had to prize it away from her and leave it on someones wall in hope it's owner finds it again. Just getting over that and Frankie finds a squashed frog, WOW she loved it started throwing it in the air and trying to catch it! she just didn't understand why I wouldn't let her keep this either!